My gorgeous baby girl Roma, at 8 months, showing me her new trick!

Wednesday 10 October 2012

What defines us?

When I told Wil and Megan about my decision to stop book promotion, Megan said that it had concerned her that having the focus on Roma's conception could define us.

That made me think. What does define me? What am I largely? A mother? An SMC? A writer? A pathology assistant? A home owner/renovator? Although mothering is what has taken my focus the last few years, it is not all that I am.

Writing a book about my journey to motherhood has defined me in a way as and SMC, but that was not the purpose. I wrote it because writing is how I deal with things. As a teenager I kept a journal every year, for over 10 years; writing was how I dealt with those difficult years. So again it came naturally to me to lean on that support again when I was dealing with having a child on my own. I dealt with it as I wrote it and deep down, thats what motivated me.

Through writing this book I let go of the dream of having a family with a man I loved, I dealt with my own inhibitions and feelings of social minority through writing about it. I made decisions and gave myself comfort through writing about it. Writing is a great gift that I have always taken for granted, but along this journey I have discovered how much a part of me it is. Perhaps it's not what I write about but writing itself that defines me?

No comments:

Post a Comment