My gorgeous baby girl Roma, at 8 months, showing me her new trick!

Wednesday 26 September 2012

My Hypocrisy

I bought a DVD player for the car today; then I realised my hypocrisy.

It all started with 'I won't take drugs during childbirth' but then during a horrendous 48 hour labour enduring pain I never thought existed, I discovered the amazing, amazing benefits of drugs and took them. Then it was 'I will never give my baby a dummy' but that one didn't last 2 months before I discovered not all babies know how to sleep, and that keeping my boob in her mouth forever means I don't get any sleep either until with relief she finally took a dummy, stopped crying and went to sleep (looking back now, I wonder what could possible be wrong with that??) Then 'I won't give my baby hot chips', until she failed to put on weight, the nutritionist told me to feed her heaps of fat, cream, butter, oil etc. So the list goes on...and here I am about to plug my daughter into a portable DVD player.

When portable DVD players first hit the market years ago I thought, oh my God, why do kids need to watch TV in the car? Can't they just look out the window or play spotto or use their imagination like I did when I was a kid? I will never buy one of them for my kids.
That was until today, until I found myself literally scrambling for a portable DVD player, racing from store to store with Roma in tow, comparing prices.
It all came about after we returned from a few days away at the Sunshine Coast this morning and unfortunately I don't feel rested at all. It's hard work taking a toddler on holidays. She screamed most of the 90 minute drive up there, wouldn't nap in the cot during the day, instead she slept for only 30 minutes in the car or attached to me in the carrier so I didnt get my usual 2hr midday reprieve from parenting. The first night she was up about four times due to being in a strange place and the next night she slept very well aside from deciding to start her day at 4.30am! She clung to me most of the time, scared of everything and everyone that was new and different in the holiday spot.

So I'm tired. My back aches, I need sleep and it all made me wonder how I could possible make time away from home more enjoyable. We are heading up to Wil and Megan's (Roma's donor family) farm next week, with a four hour drive each way I was getting anxious about the dreaded drive that I knew would involve Roma screaming from the backseat, while I continuously hand toys/food/water and wet wipes from the front to the back. There is usually lots of singing and praying she will sleep whilst I drive100km/hr on the highway for four hours. Not only is it stressful, but also really dangerous. I understand why Roma gets irritable in the car, its a long time for a 19 month old to stay still and strapped in.

My friend Tammy suggested the DVD player yesterday and I jumped at the chance to have a happy toddler during the drive. I bought one today along with a copy of 'Yo Gabba Gabba' and 'Dora the Explorer.' Roma loves TV and although it means more screen time, I think it is well worth the sacrifice if it means she is happy, I am calm and we are both safe on our drive to the farm.

Of course, even with the stress involved, it is still worth getting away from our ordinary lives every now and then. Roma had a great time at the Sunny Coast, she loved the beach, and would spend all day there if I let her. Initially afraid of the water, once she put her feet in she was hooked and she is always at home in the sand so she was just revelling in it. I think she will sleep well tonight, now that we are home. She is one worn out toddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment